Tieghan has another delish recipe I love! She’s at Half Baked Harvest and this is hers! I added potato instead of flour and bumped up the spices! She calls it Lighter Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
This reminds me of the Canadian Cheese Soup I have made. Sautéed veggies, broth thickened up and cheese added at the end! Comfort food!
Check out Tieghan’s blog! She is a powerhouse of talent!
A stick or immersion blender is essential to making this. Using a standard blender or food processor also works but is more tedious
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme or 2 tablespoons fresh
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups broth
- 1 head cauliflower, not too big, chopped
- 4 cups broccoli florets and their chopped crown stems. Don’t use the long stalks
- 2 bay leaves (Morton & Bassett is my favorite)
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon smoky paprika
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon cayenne
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 2 cups hard cheddar like cheese, shredded plus more for serving. I like the sharp cheddar and also aged Gouda is super here too! Use a mix of cheeses if you have them
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven heat oil and butter. Add onion, thyme and carrots and sauté till tender
- Add potatoes, broth, broccoli STEMS and cauliflower. Cover and simmer. When tender remove from heat. Purée with stick blender till smooth
- Return soup to heat and add broccoli florets, bay leaves, cayenne, and smoky paprika. Simmer until broccoli is tender. Remove bay leaves and remove from heat. Use the stick blender to slightly mash up. Make sure to leave much of the broccoli in whole pieces
- Return soup to heat. Add coconut milk and cheese; stir till melted. Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Top each bowl of soup with additional cheese and thyme
- This is a very forgiving recipe. The quantities of ingredients don’t have to be exact. But I do love these seasonings! I’ve been using a fresher version of bay leaves rather than the brittle dry style and enjoy their taste and fragrance. Smoky paprika and cayenne are a must!! Add more broth if needed. I like Better Than Bouillon Organic Chicken Base to make broth. Combine no more than 1 teaspoon base per cup of water
Well THIS looks amazing! And pretty simple. 😊. Thanks for sharing
Sent from my iPhone
It’s my pleasure Linda! I’m going to make it again this week !!