- 3 pounds 90% lean ground beef or more lean
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups hot milk
- 4 cups dried white bread cubes (dry overnight 6-8 slices bread)
- Slice bread into small cubes and set aside
- Sauté onion in butter and oil until tender but not browned. Add garlic and sauté 1/2 minute. Set aside
- In a large bowl place beef and add onion mixture, salt, pepper and eggs.
- Heat milk in a medium saucepan. Add bread cubes. Mix with a whisk until it becomes a paste. Add to the beef mix.
- Use your clean hands to mix the meatloaf together
- Divide mixture into 4 loaves on 2 shallow baking pans covered in parchment paper. Rinse hands in cold water to help pat each loaf into shape. This helps with the stickiness.
- Drizzle ketchup over loaves making a pattern.
- Bake at 350 degrees F about 45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- This is my mom’s recipe which I’ve adapted. She would add a squirt of mustard and ketchup to the mixture. But I place ketchup on the top of the loaves and serve it also at the table to dip each bite into!
- Voila! Enjoy and let me know what happens!
This looks yummy! Jan
We’ve all loved this for decades!!