Just in time for a grand and easy to make Fathers Day Breakfast!
Bring out your grandmothers cast iron!
This dish is an Italian style Shakshuka which is a Middle Eastern food made with a salsa type tomato sauce. Eggs in Purgatory has chili flakes added to your taste for heat and capers to give a briney almost fishy flavor. It’s like adding anchovies to tomato sauce which wouldn’t be a bad addition to this sauce either!
Italian Puttanesca is a tomato sauce with added capers and anchovies for a briney flavor. Italian Arrabbiata is a spicy tomato sauce with added chili flakes. Eggs in Purgatory is a blend of both of these flavorful tomato sauces.
Add some toast with rhubarb jam to complete breakfast or brunch that combines the salty with the sweet. I like to sprinkle flaked sea salt over my rhubarb jam toast to add to the salty component.
2 tablespoons olive oil
A pinch or more hot pepper chili flakes
1/2 cup chopped onion or shallot
3 cloves garlic, minced with 1/2 teaspoon salt
1-28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon capers and 1 tablespoon of the caper brine
1-2 anchovies, rinsed and patted dry and then minced, OPTIONAL
Shaved or grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
- Heat an 8-10 inch cast iron pan over medium heat
- Add the olive oil
- Sauté the chili flakes and stir quickly with a spoon or spatula until fragrant, less than a minute.
- Add the onion and sauté until translucent, turning down the heat as needed to prevent browning.
- Add the garlic and sauté only a 1/2 minute while stirring. Do not brown or burn!
- Add the tomato sauce, capers and brine. If you want to add the anchovies, do it now.
- Simmer uncovered until thickened, simmering slowly. About 20-30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- With a large spoon place 4 indentations in the sauce. Place an egg in each cradle
- Bake 9-10 minutes or less until the whites just turn white and still jiggle when shaken.
- Serve with grated or shaved Romano or Parmesan cheese
- You can sprinkle with chopped parsley or cilantro if you like
- Toast up some crusty bread of your liking