1 pound fresh sweet mini peppers, halved & roasted or 2 cups bottled roasted red peppers in brine, drained and cut into 2 inch x 1 inch pieces
1 pound small round potatoes
12 large eggs
1 cup milk (optional soy milk, almond milk, or heavy cream)
2 ½ cups grated manchego and romano cheeses
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves or 2 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium size yellow onion, chopped
4 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
Classico brand Spicy Tomato Sauce with red peppers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in upper third.
- In a large saucepan place potatoes and cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer until potatoes easily give to a fork prick, about 5-10 minutes.
- Drain and cool on a towel to room temperature.
- Peel potatoes if desired. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, cheese, salt, pepper and thyme.
- In an oven safe 10-inch non-stick skillet, heat olive oil.
- Saute onion until tender. Add garlic and stir ½ minute. Do not brown garlic.
- Add the roasted mini peppers and heat through and stir.
- Over medium heat pour the egg mixture over the peppers.
- Cook until edges are set, a few minutes.
- Slice the potatoes in 1/4 inch slices.
- Layer the potatoes over the egg mixture. They will sink just under the surface.
- Place in the oven and bake until the center is set. An inserted knife should come out clean. The edge should be puffed and golden in spots. Cool at least 10 minutes.
- This can be served in wedges from the sauté pan, or inverted onto a platter.
- Serve hot with a roasted red pepper tomato sauce.
Makes 8-10 entrée size servings or 12 tapas servings