- 4-6 strips bacon, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 head cabbage, not too large, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 5 whole allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon whole mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper seeds/flakes
- 1 28 oz. can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 15 oz can sauerkraut, drained
- 1/2 cup ketchup
Saute bacon in a large cooking pot
Add onion and saute until translucent
Add cabbage and stir.
Add brown sugar and spices and stir.
Add tomatoes and sauerkraut
Bring to a boil and simmer 1 hour.
Add more spices as desired per taste.
The original recipe was from Grandma Korzin, but Aunt Olga and my Mom taught me to make it. Aunt Olga would make it for Thanksgiving every year at her home. We each developed our own version of this recipe, including my Mom, Sonia. Grandma was from the Minsk region of Belorussia.