This simple salad can be whipped together in minutes! Oranges are the main feature.
The pink are called Cara Cara and the red are Blood Oranges. There are two types of blood oranges. Here I used the Moro orange which are available December through March. The other blood orange is Tarocco and are available from January through May. The Cara Cara is a cross between two naval oranges and their peak seasons are December and April. I bought them in February.
The mixed spring greens are beautiful and easy. I have found really fresh greens at Aldi, the European discount grocery store.
Edamame is very popular. I used the shelled version which is called mukimame. It’s all soybeans. The Target brand Archer Farms makes a frozen version I like!
High quality olive oil and white wine vinegar are essential for this delish dressing. I use champagne balsamic vinegar or a white balsamic vinegar from a local oil and vinegar shop. Mercato di O & V
Here’s what you need: Serves 4
4 cups mixed spring greens
2 Cara Cara oranges
2 blood oranges
1 cup shelled soybeans, also called edamame (mukimame)
1/4 cup high quality extra virgin olive oil
1/8 cup white balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon or less black pepper
Here’s how to do it:
- Place the lettuce on salad plates
- Sprinkle soybeans over lettuce
- Slice the ends off the oranges, then slice the rest of the rind off from end to end. Leave no rind or white pulp
- Cut each orange crosswise in 4 thick slices
- Layer 2 of each orange slice on the salad
- Combine the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl with a small whisk or shake it all together in a small jar with a lid
- Pour about a tablespoon or so over each salad
- Sprinkle with black pepper if you want