The pink are called Cara Cara and the red are Blood Oranges. There are two types of blood oranges. Here I used the Moro orange which are available December through March. The other blood orange is Tarocco and are available from January through May. The Cara Cara is a cross between two naval oranges and their peak seasons are December and April. I bought them in February.
The mixed spring greens are beautiful and easy. I have found really fresh greens at Aldi, the European discount grocery store.
Edamame is very popular. I used the shelled version which is called mukimame. It’s all soybeans. The Target brand Archer Farms makes a frozen version I like!
High quality olive oil and white wine vinegar are essential for this delish dressing. I use champagne balsamic vinegar or a white balsamic vinegar from a local oil and vinegar shop. Mercato di O & V
Here’s what you need: Serves 4
4 cups mixed spring greens
2 Cara Cara oranges
2 blood oranges
1 cup shelled soybeans, also called edamame (mukimame)
1/4 cup high quality extra virgin olive oil
1/8 cup white balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon or less black pepper
Here’s how to do it:
- Place the lettuce on salad plates
- Sprinkle soybeans over lettuce
- Slice the ends off the oranges, then slice the rest of the rind off from end to end. Leave no rind or white pulp
- Cut each orange crosswise in 4 thick slices
- Layer 2 of each orange slice on the salad
- Combine the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl with a small whisk or shake it all together in a small jar with a lid
- Pour about a tablespoon or so over each salad
- Sprinkle with black pepper if you want