The Original Dish is one of my favorite food bloggers. My recipe is based on her version of the traditional 3 Bean Salad. I will definitely make this again!
I substituted dried oregano for her fresh parsley, mint and basil. I also substituted black eyed peas for her chickpeas and added feta cheese and fresh tomato! My recipe here is like Village Greek Salad meets 3 Bean Salad!
This recipe has some flexibility. Try any combination of 3 varieties of canned beans. Suzy and I both agree that there are better options than canned green and yellow wax beans.
- 1 15 oz can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 green pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 red pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 1 tomato, cut in large chunks, optional
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup capers
- 4-8 ounces block style feta cheese, cut into cubes, optional
- 1/2-1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- In a large bowl or on a large platter place beans, peppers, cucumber, onion, capers, tomato and feta. Decide to either keep all items separate on a platter for serving or mixing them all up in a bowl.
- Sprinkle oregano over all
- In a small bowl whisk together vinaigrette ingredients till combined and thick.
- Pour vinaigrette over platter of beans or mix into bowl of these same ingredients. Cover and refrigerate an hour or so before serving so beans absorb the vinaigrette.
Thank you Suzy from The Mediterranean Dish for your inspiration!