Also known as Gratin Dauphinois, this is the very popular style of potato served all over France! The recipe is from Julia Child’s The French Chef Cookbook. The recipes in this cookbook are all from her PBS cooking show.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup milk
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled & smashed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons butter
- 6 cup oven proof and flame proof baking dish, 2 inches deep
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Slice potatoes 1/8 inch thick and place in a bowl of cold water. I like to use a mandoline to slice the potatoes
- Bring milk to boil on the stovetop with salt, pepper and garlic
- Drain potatoes and add to milk
- Cut up butter into tiny pieces and distribute over potatoes
- Bake for 25 minutes or until milk is absorbed and potatoes are tender and browned.
- Use the broiler to brown if needed.
- Bon Appetit!!!
As Julia always said at the end of each episode Bon Appetit!