1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth (Kitchen Basics brand :))
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper
1 pound frozen shrimp, raw, peeled & deveined
1 cup frozen corn
1 15-ounce can cannellini beans (white kidney beans) rinsed and drained
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
2 or more tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 avocado, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- In a large 4-5 quart Dutch oven, heat the oil. Saute poblano and onion until tender. Add garlic and saute 1/2 minute.
- Add broth, salt and crushed dried red pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Add frozen shrimp, corn and drained beans. Return to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered about 2 minutes or until shrimp turn opaque.
- Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Serve with avocado.
- Makes 6 servings
- This recipe is adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Magazine, February 2013 issue