The tomato soup in this recipe places this recipe in the midcentury category, but I first made this while preparing salads in the 1970’s at the family owned Strongbow’s Turkey Inn during my college years at Valparaiso University. Chuck & Chuggie’s Sunday Buffet’s were popular!
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 onion, sliced thin into rings
- 1 green pepper cup up into medium pieces
Place sliced carrots in a ceramic bowl. Arrange onions and green pepper on top.
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil (not olive oil)
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt, optional
- 1 Tbsp dry mustard, or more to taste
- ½ tsp hot sauce, more or less to taste
In a medium saucepan whisk together marinade ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil. Pour over carrots. Cool and refrigerate overnight.