This recipe is super quick, especially if you use a prepared tomato sauce. My sauce is from a combination of a red pepper sauce I made and a store bought Italian tomato sauce. This recipe here is from Food 52 and includes their sauce.
Everything is made in one skillet. The ravioli is frozen cheese ravioli. It is cooked in the sauce. Then part of the pasta is removed from the pan. Cheeses are layered and the ravioli is returned to the skillet, topped with more cheese and baked in the oven. Easy!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Pinch or so dried red pepper flakes
- 1 28 ounce can tomatoes
- 2 large fresh basil leaves plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds frozen cheese ravioli
- 8 ounces or 2 cups mozzarella, preferably fresh
- 2 tablespoons or so shaved or grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 F and place a rack in center of oven.
- Pour your sauce into a large oven proof skillet or make it as follows in the same size skillet. Add 1 cup water to your sauce.
- To make this sauce: Heat the oil over medium heat. Add garlic and stir 1-2 minutes until softened but not browned. Add tomato paste stirring until darkens slightly, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add red pepper flakes, tomatoes, basil, sugar, salt, pepper and 1 cup water. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Add frozen ravioli to sauce and cook over medium heat, stirring gently, until the sauce is very thick and the ravioli just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Spoon half the ravioli and sauce into a bowl.
- Arrange the remaining ravioli in an even layer. Sprinkle with half the mozzarella. Arrange remaining ravioli and sauce on top and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake the lasagna until bubbly and cheese is lightly browned, 10-12 minutes. Use your broiler if it doesn’t brown in that time frame. Scatter extra basil leaves on top and let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Thank you again Food52!