1 ciabatta or 8 slices coarse country white bread, preferably sourdough, about ½ pound
4 cloves garlic, halved, optional
4 small, ripe tomatoes, about 1/3 pound
Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
Coarse salt, such as Kosher or flaked salt
- Grilling is optional: Prepare a fire in a charcoal grill, preheat a gas grill to high or preheat the broiler. You may prefer to use your toaster or toaster oven.
- If using ciabatta, slice it crosswise into 4-6 pieces, then cut each piece in half horizontally before toasting
- Place the bread on the grill rack or on a baking sheet.
- Grill or broil, turning once, until golden broth on both sides, about 2 minutes per side
- While the toasts are warm, rub with cut side of the garlic halves.
- Rub the cut sides of the tomato halves on top of the toasts until only the skins are left, then discard the skins.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt
- Pile on a platter or in a shallow bowl and serve
- You and/or your guests may also prepare their own Pa Amb Tomaquet at the table.
- This is the first food brought to the table in Catalunya.
Makes 4 servings