This recipe is very interesting for many reasons:
- The pine nuts and unpeeled garlic are toasted in a 10-inch skillet. The toasted garlic had less of a bite and strong flavor as the fresh garlic does.
- Boiled Potatoes are added
- Potatoes are cooked in a large quantity of water. This water is then used to cook the pasta
- A large quantity of pasta water is added back to the pasta, pesto and potatoes (over 1 cup)
- The pasta and all it’s ingredients are beaten together as the final step. I have seen this kind of beating of the Risotto ala Milanese by our friends the Nebuloni’s in Milan.
I made this without the green beans and I used mini penne instead of the gemelli.
It tasted heavenly. The double batch I made was sent home as leftovers. Pasta with Pesto is a family favorite, so it was natural to make enough of this new version for leftovers.