Thank you to Mary Ann Anschutz for this recipe!
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 cups cooked chickpeas
Coarse salt, optional
1-28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1-14.5 oz can reduced sodium chicken broth
1 sprig fresh basil, plus torn leaves for garnish
12 oz medium pasta shells
Grated Parmesan for serving
- In a medium sauce pan heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook 30 seconds or until fragrant. Do not brown
- Add chickpeas, season with salt (optional) and cook 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Simmer about 20 minutes or until sauce has reduced slightly.
- Add basil and cook 5 minutes. Remove basil.
- While sauce is cooking, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water till al dente; drain and return to same pot.
- Add sauce to pasta and toss. Serve with Parmesan and garnish with torn basil.
Nutrition Notes: Chickpeas/Garbonzo beans are a high fiber, low fat, and high protein substitute for meat. They also contain phytoestrogens which may protect against breast and prostate cancers. Tomatoes are rich in antioxidants which protect from harmful free radicals.