Brown rice takes 45 minutes to cook, so start the rice first. Make a double batch and keep it on hand for a quick addition later in the week. Rice is gluten free and a fabulous source of complex carbohydrates and fiber!
- 2 Tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt, optional
- Heat a small sauce pan and add oil. When warmed add onion and saute till tender.
- Add rice and saute a few minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 40 minutes or until tender.
- Makes 3 cups.
Black beans are rich in high energy complex carbohydrates and fiber. Tomatoes prevent prostrate cancer. The hot dried chorizo adds big flavor with minimal fat per serving. Black beans or black bean soup is a specialty of Cuba and Puerto Rico.
2 Tablespoons olive or canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 oz. HOT Spanish dried chorizo, sliced thin
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons Mexican oregano, dried
1 – 15 oz. can whole tomatoes, undrained and broken into pieces
1 – 20 oz can seasoned black beans, undrained
1 – 15 oz can Northern beans, drained and rinsed or a 2nd can of black beans
3/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
3 cups chopped tomatoes
Red wine vinegar
- Heat a medium saucepan and add oil.
- Saute onion until tender.
- Add chorizo and saute 3 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and jalapeno and saute 3 minutes.
- Add seasonings and garlic and saute less than 1 minute.
- Add canned tomatoes to make the sofrito. Saute 3 minutes
- Add the beans, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Place 2/3 cup brown rice in a serving bowl. Pour 2/3 cup Black Beans over top.
- Spoon 1/2 cup fresh tomato and 2 Tablespoons cilantro over beans.
- Sprinkle with red wine vinegar to taste
- Serves 6