Everyone always loves this cookie! It is a recipe adapted from Baking With Julia by Gale Gand.
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pound butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 egg yolks
13 Oz jar Bonne Maman raspberry or strawberry preserves. No other store brands are good. Home made is best
1 cup confectionery sugar, about
1. In a medium bowl whisk together:
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
2. In a stand mixer bowl beat:
- 1 lb. unsalted butter
3. Add and beat until fluffy:
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks
4. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and blend until just combined. Do not over beat.
5. Spread out 2 large pieces of plastic wrap on the counter.
6. Divide the dough in half and place a half on each piece of plastic.
7. Form into a roundish size and wrap each piece.
8. Freeze until solid…………several hours or overnight
9. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If using a dark baking pan try 325 degrees so it doesn’t brown too fast
10. Using the grating attachment of a Kitchen Aid Mixer or the large holes of a box grater, grate 1 piece of dough into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Lightly pat the dough evenly and gently, but don’t press down too firmly. A simple aluminum pan is my favorite
11. Spread 13 oz. or so of homemade or Bonne Maman Strawberry or Raspberry Preserves on top of the grated dough.
12. Grate the other piece of dough evenly over the jam and pat gently and evenly.
13. Bake 40-60 minutes or until just turning a light golden color. Better to under-bake than over bake! The dark colored baking pans bake more quickly
14. As soon as it is removed from the oven, sift the top of the shortbread generously with confectioner’s sugar. Cool 10 minutes and cut into squares with a sharp paring knife
This is my family’s all time favorite cookie!!