This family recipe is from Marianne Hornbeck and is one of our absolute favorites! You can choose your own type of chocolate to spread on the cookie crust. Hershey’s Milk Chocolate is the original, though I’ve moved on to Ghiradelli 60% Cacao Chocolate Chips!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a mixer beat until fluffy
1 cup softened butter
- Add and beat until fluffy
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Add and mix just until combined
2 cups flour
- The batter will be thick. Spoon it evenly in clumps over the half sheet baking pan, 12 x 17 inch size. I love the Gordon Food Service half sheet baking pans. I use them as cookie sheets, baking pans, roasting pans……
- Press the dough with your fingers evenly in the pan. Dip your fingers in flour to prevent them from sticking to the dough.
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Immediately after baking while the pan is yet in the oven, sprinkle a 10 oz package of chocolate chips or break up the pieces of 8-10 Hershey bars and spread with a dinner knife as the chocolate melts
- When the chocolate is melted and smooth over the entire surface place on a firm service to cut into squares immediately! The cookie crust crisps up quickly so don’t wait!
- With a sharp paring knife or a bread knife, cut into squares.
- You may now sprinkle with chopped walnuts which is the original recipe. I prefer to sprinkle with flaked sea salt
1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts, optional
1/2 – 1 teaspoon flaked sea salt, optional
- Cool completely before serving
Thank you to dear Marianne Hornbeck for everyones favorite cookie. Marianne was a family friend who loved to cook, work hard and talk! She was nonstop energy. Her mother had a bakery in Vienna and now her grand daughter Laura is becoming a famous pastry chef in Seattle!