Comfort food from the 1960s! My mom made this recipe for decades and so have I! Everyone loves it! My kids continue to make it! It’s simple, requires very few ingredients and has some flexibility too!
Basic steps to get this in your tummy!
- 5- 6 chicken thighs, with bone, skinless
- 1-10.5 ounce can Campbell’s Cream of Chicken Soup
- About 5 oz milk, measure 1/2 can
- About 5 oz sherry, measure 1/2 can
- 1 small can sliced mushrooms, drained OPTIONAL
- 3 tablespoons butter Or 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Melt butter in glass baking pan in the oven. I used an 8×12 baking pan.
2. Place chicken in butter and turn pieces over so all sides are coated
3. Bake 30-45 minutes
4. In a medium bowl whisk together Campbell’s Cream of Chicken Soup, milk and sherry. Add canned mushrooms too if you like which were part of the original recipe.
5. Pour the sauce over the baked chicken. Bake another 30-45 minutes, depending how brown you like it.
6. Mashed potatoes of some sort is essential. I like smashed yellow potatoes with their skins! Wide egg noodles also work.
7. Unless you really brown the chicken and sauce it’s a pretty bland color, so add a colorful vegetable and or sprinkle with paprika, another mid century culinary trick!
The original recipe is almost identical to mine. Only the proportions of ingredients are different. Below is the original ingredient list my Mom used.
1 whole chicken cut up or 5- 6 thighs with bone and skin
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 can Sherry
3/4 can milk
1 small can sliced or pieces of mushrooms, drained
3 tablespoons butter