Spread this yogurt cheese on toasted or crispy bread and top it with roasted cherry tomatoes, onion and garlic like I have here. Drizzle with thick aged balsamic and sprinkle with flaked sea salt
Labneh spread on crispy bread and topped with raw tomatoes, thick balsamic and flaked sea salt
Thick spreadable labneh
So why bother? It’s a cows milk alternative to spreadable goat cheese. It’s cheaper than goat cheese and other spreadable cheeses. It’s super easy and you get your calcium and protein big time!
I like this for lunch but also cut into bite size pieces as an appetizer
My source for this recipe is an Egyptian girl at Mattersofthebelly.com Check her post for more details! It’s authentic!
I like labneh spread on crisp bread and topped with:
1. Raw tomatoes, thick balsamic and flaked sea salt or
2. Roasted cherry tomatoes, garlic and onion drizzled with balsamic and sea salt or
3. A delish jam of your choice or
4. Drizzled honey and flaked sea salt
If you want to order the absolute best homemade jam go to Plumtreejam.com for a variety of fruit jams made in Portland Oregon. #plumtreejam
16 oz whole milk yogurt
1 pinch salt
cheesecloth or sterile gauze
- Place a colander over a large bowl.
- Line the colander with 3-4 layers of cheese cloth or gauze
- In another medium bowl combine yogurt and a 3 finger pinch of salt
- Pour yogurt into cheesecloth and enclose it into a ball and tie up with a string or twist tie
- Cover the colander and bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Continue straining to your desired consistency. Overnight is good for me
- Scrape the labneh into a small bowl, cover and refrigerate.
Yogurt is straining through cheesecloth and a colander into a bowl
Cover the yogurt with plastic and refrigerate overnight
This is the consistency I like to spread on crispy bread
Voila! I hope you enjoy this taste of the Middle East!