This 1950s recipe is one my mom made and has become my favorite cookie. It took me awhile to get the technique down and the recipe correct.
The thing to remember is that it’s a crisp cookie. If you make the cookie too large they will not be crisp. Use a ruler and roll the cookies into balls no bigger than 1 inch diameter. This will make a 2 inch cookie which is perfect for 2 or 3 bites of crisp gingery spicy cookie.
The spices you use makes a difference too. Use fresh spices for the best flavor! Have fun with this ginger snap like flavorful and aromatic cookie!
A couple things you need to know ahead of time. You’ll need 1/4 cup molasses. This is NOT dark corn syrup. Molasses is very flavorful and the brand I use is Grandma’s Molasses. Mostly because I can usually find it at most grocery stores
Also I like a lot of spice. If you don’t then add less spice. The original recipe is 1/2 teaspoon cloves, 1/2 teaspoon ginger and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 heaping teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 heaping teaspoon ground ginger
1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
Extra sugar for rolling cookies
- Place melted butter in a stand mixer bowl
- Add sugar, molasses and egg
- Beat well until light and fluffy
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, cloves, ginger, cinnamon and salt
- Add dry ingredients to molasses mixture and mix until just combined. Don’t over beat
- Chill dough several hours or overnight
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Place some sugar in a small bowl
- Take a small teaspoon of dough and roll into a ball between your hands. Balls should measure just under 1 inch
- Roll the balls into the sugar. I do about 6 at a time in about 1/2 cup or so of sugar
- Place balls on baking sheets covered with parchment. Bake about 7-12 minutes, depending if they are less than 1 inch across or more than 1 inch. You will see the cookies puff up and rise. Wait till they collapse flat before you take them out of the oven!!!
- Cool on the baking sheet 10 minutes. Then transfer cookies to cooling racks till completely cold
- This recipe makes about 90 cookies