These cookies are said to be the secret recipe of the Mrs. Field’s Cookie Company. My friend Lisa Williams gave the recipe to me in 1988. It’s been our favorite chocolate chip cookie ever since! I’ve added a bit more salt and I usually omit the walnuts. My cookies are also smaller than Mrs. Field’s huge 4 inch cookies. I make 7 dozen cookies from this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a mixer cream together:
1/2 pound softened butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
2 large eggs
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium size bowl whisk together:
3 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 to 1 teaspoon salt
- Add flour mix to the butter mixture.
- Mix only just until barely combined. Don’t beat the dough or the cookies won’t be tender.
- Add and mix only a few seconds:
12 oz chocolate chips or chocolate chunks (I prefer Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate)
1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Drop by a teaspoon on a baking sheet with at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 8-9 minutes. Don’t over bake! They will crisp up when cooling.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Remove from baking sheet when slightly cooled, after about 4 minutes, and place on cooling racks until crisp and firm.