4 anchovy fillets, preserved in salt
3 red or orange bell peppers
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon capers, drained & finely chopped
¼ cup olive oil
- Wash anchovy fillets under running water for several minutes to rid them of their salt. Bone them and finely chop.
- In a small bowl combine anchovy, oregano, garlic and capers. Set aside.
- Wash, dry and stem peppers; cut into quarters and remove ribs and seeds.
- Place on a baking sheet cut side down and sprinkle with olive oil. Bake in a preheated oven at 400 F for 20 minutes or until slightly tender.
- Cool and then cut into smaller strips.
- Spoon anchovy mixture onto strips.
- Let stand 2 hours for flavors to blend before serving.
Nutrition Notes: Colorful peppers are rich in the antioxidants Vitamin C & carotenoids which help protect us from the cell damage of free radicals. Anchovies and capers are high in salt, so it’s best to balance these with lower salt foods in your day.