This bar-top snack is commonly served in Barcelona with a midday apertif. It is very high in sodium, so balance this with other low salt foods through the day.
12 cloves garlic, unpeeled
1/3 pound carrots, peeled & cut in bite size pieces (may use beets, green beans or other firm colorful vegetable)
24 mixed olives
12 cocktail onions in vinegar, drained
12 baby gherkins, drained
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Pinch of hot chile powder
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
Generous teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves
2 stalks of fresh thyme about 3 inches in length
- Bring a small saucepan 3/4 filled with water to a boil. Add the garlic and simmer 3 minutes.
- Add the carrot and boil 2 minutes; Drain.
- Place carrot and garlic in a bowl of cold water; Drain.
- Place in another bowl of cold water; Drain again. Peel garlic.
- Transfer carrot and garlic to a medium bowl
- Add olives, onions, and gherkins and mix well.
- Add olive oil, vinegar, chile powder, paprika and thyme.
- Stir gently and evenly. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Mix once or twice.
- Serve in a small glass bowl with toothpicks.