4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 7)
Wash potatoes well. Prick each several times with a fork. Bake in a 400 degree oven just until tender. Or cook in a pressure cooker with 1 cup water for 10 minutes. Potatoes are done when easily pricked with a fork or knife. Let set until they are cool enough to handle.
In a medium saucepan combine:
2 cups water
1 pound brown sugar
Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Then add:
2 teaspoons vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 stick butter
3-4 shakes of cayenne pepper
Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons vanilla
Heat mixture until butter is melted.
- Peel your cooled baked sweet potatoes. Then cut into halves lengthwise.
- Place in an orderly fashion in a 9 x 13 inch glass or ceramic baking/serving dish.
- Pour sauce over.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until sauce is simmering. Throughout cooking time, baste potatoes with the sauce. Flavors meld when cooled and reheated the following day or so.
- Serve piping hot directly from your baking dish!
- You can also add pecans at this time if desired.
I prepare this dish a day before serving so flavor so meld. Refrigerate in the baking dish overnight.