I made a delish chili this week from the March 2012 issue of Cooking Light. I had roasted peppers on hand, so I added that to the pasta bowl full of the chili. I also used only 1 lb of the ground sirloin instead of the 1 1/2 lbs & added another can of kidney beans and more spice. I substituted a beer I had on hand, Smithwicks Irish Ale. Thank you Joe!
I also tried some new products at my local Kroger:
Kroger Brand Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes………full of real grilled flavor!
Private Selection Organic Kidney Beans contain 120 mg per 1/2 cup….other brands have 300 mg +
Private Selection Marinara Napolitana contains 360 mg sodium per 1/2 cup…others have 500 mg
Prego Heart Smart Traditional Italian Sauce contains 360 mg sodium
Kitchen Basics Unsalted Cooking Stocks (chicken, beef or vegetable) 150 mg sodium per cup…others contain up to 800 mg
1 lb. ground sirloin
2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped, do not remove all the seeds if you like it hot!
3 poblano peppers, finely chopped, do not remove all the seeds if you like it hot!
3 cups chopped onion
8 large garlic cloves, pressed
1 12-ounce flavorful beer
1 heaping tablespoon chili powder or more
2 teaspoons cumin or more
1 24- oz jar lower sodium marinara sauce (350 mg sodium per 1/2 cup)
1 cup low sodium chicken cooking stock
3 15-oz cans low salt kidney beans, rinsed & drained (120 mg sodium per 1/2 cup)
1 14.5-oz can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
3 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until browned.
- Add onion and peppers and cook till tender.
- Add garlic and stir and cook 1 minute. Do not brown garlic.
- Add beer and simmer 10 minutes uncovered.
- Add chili power and cumin and stir.
- Stir in marinara, broth, beans and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- Ladle 1 1/2 cups chili into each serving bowl. Top with 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese, 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1 tablespoon cilantro. Serves 8
- I added 1/2 roasted red bell pepper to each bowl.